iReptile Rescue

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
Well let me try to explain how all this madness started. If I remember correctly (some days were a haze), I grew up in Sunny San Diego, near creaks, mountains, and a lot of run down back yards, so me and my friends would always find our native reptiles, bring them home (without the jefa knowing of course), and risk the consequences for our devious actions =) Well, now as an experienced reptile lover/owner, it opened my heart to open my doors to unwanted reptiles. lately I've seen an increase in abused, neglected, or unwanted reptiles, that, as a reptile lover, directed me to try my best to build a reptile loving community, that i can re-home reptiles that people can't care for anymore. I need all the help and support from all I can, if your a reptile owner, and lover, lets share our thoughts, and open our hearts, to these reptiles that are being let go in valleys, mountains, or given to inexperienced reptile owners.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Brazillian Rainbow Boa

When researching snakes, I have often read that the Brazilian rainbow boa makes a poor choice for a pet snake, due to their unruly temperament. Allow me to contradict that notion. I believe that the “BRB” can make a wonderful pet snake, as long as you know how to care for it properly.
Granted, the Brazilian rainbow boa is not as easy to care for as a corn snake, kingsnake or some of the other popular species found in the pet trade. But with a bit of research and preparation, you can provide a great home for a Brazilian rainbow boa. And with regular handling (like two or three times a month), they can become as “tame” as most other snake species common in the pet trade.

These snakes are not as hard to care for as some books and articles would lead you to believe. Humidity is more of a concern with the Brazilian rainbow boa than it is for other popular pet snake species, but even that’s manageable. I already explained how I keep a moisture box in my rainbow’s cage. That and the constant presence of a water bowl is generally all you need to meet the humidity needs of this species.
Here is some more information on Brazilian rainbow boa care and keeping:
Recommended cage size: At least four feet of cage length for adults. The 4′ x 2′ Vision cages are perfect for this species.
Temperature: I give my rainbow a temperature gradient of about 88 degrees on the warm side and upper 70s on the cool side. I run the heat constantly and let the natural cooling of my house provide nighttime cycle.
Feeding: I feed my Brazilian rainbow boa a medium to large rat every 10 days or so. He is a healthy size, but not overweight (yes, snakes can become obese just like humans can). He is always ready for his next meal when it comes, which is the way I like it. I offer rats that are about the same size as his mid-section, or slightly larger.
Humidity: Everything I have read suggests that Brazilian rainbow boas are susceptible to dehydration when maintained in the U.S. and other non-native areas. It only makes sense, these snakes are native to Brazil, Venezuela and Suriname — countries with fairly high humidity most of the year. Try to maintain one in a dry area like Arizona without adding humidity in some way, and the snake will eventually suffer. It’s an easy fix, though. Just keep a moisture box in the cage, a humidifier in the room, or a combination of the two.
Lighting: Not needed. These snakes are nocturnal and will hide for the better part of the day. My snake room has a window that allows for a natural light cycle. That’s all the light I need for the Brazilian rainbow boa. I do not have a light on his cage like I do with my diurnal snakes.
Water: Keep a bowl of clean, fresh water in your snake’s cage at all times. Clean the bowl thoroughly about once a week to prevent bacteria from building up. This is a good rule of thumb for any pet snake, actually.
Handling: I handle my Brazilian rainbow boa about every 10 days or so, whenever I clean his cage. In my opinion, anything more than that is excessive. These snakes become pretty docile with this kind of regular handling, but I still would not let a child hold my rainbow boa as I would a corn snake or gopher snake. In my experience, these snakes do best when they are handled by a calm individual. They can be jumpy when there’s a lot of movement, as when a child is handling them.

This is from iReptile Rescue, please be responsible with your reptile.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers