iReptile Rescue

My photo
San Diego, CA, United States
Well let me try to explain how all this madness started. If I remember correctly (some days were a haze), I grew up in Sunny San Diego, near creaks, mountains, and a lot of run down back yards, so me and my friends would always find our native reptiles, bring them home (without the jefa knowing of course), and risk the consequences for our devious actions =) Well, now as an experienced reptile lover/owner, it opened my heart to open my doors to unwanted reptiles. lately I've seen an increase in abused, neglected, or unwanted reptiles, that, as a reptile lover, directed me to try my best to build a reptile loving community, that i can re-home reptiles that people can't care for anymore. I need all the help and support from all I can, if your a reptile owner, and lover, lets share our thoughts, and open our hearts, to these reptiles that are being let go in valleys, mountains, or given to inexperienced reptile owners.

Monday, November 30, 2009

Mexican Flame Knee Tarantula

Home / Other Pests / Spiders
Flame Knee Tarantula
Apart from characteristic red flame markings, it can be difficult to distinguish the Brachypelma auratum, or Mexican flame knee tarantula, from the Brachypelma smithi, or Mexican redknee tarantula. Commonly mistaken for one another, these arachnids have long been thought to be the same species. Both are black in color with accentuated, lighter edges and markings on the leg joints. Both also share a docile nature and a long lifespan.
However, while the redknee tarantula bears orange or yellow markings, the flame knee tarantula exhibits only red markings. These red markings take the shape of flames and are located at the right of the patella. Flame knee tarantulas also bear a white, horizontal stripe near these markings. Adult flame knee tarantulas may reach a leg span of six inches.
The flame knee tarantula is famous for its longevity, living up to 20 years. However, growth for the young is slow and maturation may take as long as five years to complete. As is true of a number of arachnid species, females are larger than males.
Flame knee tarantulas are rarely aggressive but will attack when provoked. They possess a painful bite, as well as urticating hairs. These arachnids consume cockroaches, grasshoppers and crickets. They may also prey upon small mice and other flame knee tarantulas.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers